As soon as they find our their pregnant many of my patients and friends ask “What can acupuncture do for me during pregnancy?”
Pregnancy and even preconception are such great opportunities to cultivate a healthy lifestyle in anticipation and preparation of the arrival of your new baby.
Suddenly women are considering not just their own health but the health of their baby and how their own health will inevitably affect that baby. I am inspired by the reverence women feel for their bodies (as they should!) and for the responsibility of caring for their babies long before they are born.
To support their efforts and to promote optimal health for you and baby, acupuncture offers an effective and safe solution. Most women will experience some undesirable symptoms associated with pregnancy, whether it be morning sickness, sciatica, or constipation, just to name a few. My patients love knowing that they can find relief from their symptoms in a way that is not only effective, but safe for her and her baby.
From preconception to postpartum, acupuncture can help support you and the healthy development of your baby throughout your pregnancy so that you can genuinely enjoy, instead of simply endure, the incredible experience of pregnancy and childbirth.
- Resolve or manage symptoms such as headaches, depression, anxiety, or pain, before becoming pregnant
- Balance hormones and prepare your body for baby
- Address underlying conditions that may be affecting your fertility or may compromise a healthy pregnancy or baby, such as PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, hypothyrodism, and adrenal fatigue
- Promote relaxation and optimal sleep to enhance fertility
- Prevent miscarriage
- Support hormone balance for early fetal development
Common Pregnancy Symptoms Treated with Acupuncture:
- Morning Sickness, nausea, vomiting
- Low back pain, sciatica
- Pelvic pain, hip pain
- Stress, anxiety, depression
- Insomnia, difficulty sleeping
- Carpal Tunnel
- Gestational Diabetes
In addition to addressing common pregnancy issues, in late pregnancy, beginning around week 36 acupuncture can be used to prepare your body and your baby for labor and delivery.
Weekly Labor Preparation treatments help to prepare the body for an efficient labor by:
- Relaxing the pelvic muscles in preparation for labor
- Ripening the cervix
- Preparing the baby for optimal positioning
- Promoting relaxation and mentally prepare you for labor
- Managing fatigue and exhaustion
- Helping the baby descend into the pelvis
- Priming the appropriate hormones (oxytocin, endorphins) to release during labor and delivery
Research* shows that compared to women who did not receive Labor Preparation treatments, women who used acupuncture to prepare for labor experienced the following benefits:
- Reduction in mean labor time (6 hours and 36 minutes vs. 8 hours and 2 minutes)
- 35% reduction in number of medical inductions
- 31% reduction in epidural rate
- Reduction in use of analgesia
- 32% reduction in emergency caesarian delivery
- Increased satisfaction with delivery
If you are interested in a safe, natural, and effective way to support you through your pregnancy and delivery don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss the options available to you at Yintuition Wellness.